February 23, 2011

Babysitters.

Up until about two weeks ago, we always took Quintin with us on date night (minus the time we were in AZ and he stayed with grandma and grandpa).
Well, we learned the hard way that he is too big for this now.
Feb. 11
First, we went to see a movie (Gnomeo & Juliet-funny!). He was asleep when we got there. Normally, he would stay asleep. Well he decided to wake up SCREAMING. After walking around outside the theater with him for a bit, we went back inside and I stood in the aisle thing and watched half the movie. Then, Steven spilled most of our candy all over the floor too. The rest of the movie, Quintin had this uncanny ability to coo at the screen every time it was supposed to be quiet.

After, we decided to go to dinner. We ordered pizza at the restaurant knowing that it required at least 20 minutes to cook. Well Quintin (who hadn't had a nap all day) decided to let everyone in the restaurant know he was there. This led both Steven & I to take turns going out in the hall and walking around with him. At one point, I was out and the waiter came and told Steven there was a new cook on duty and our pizza had been burned-another 20 mins. (but on a positive note-we did get it for free) After what seemed like a year, Steven finally got Q asleep and the pizza was ready. I cut up Steven's pizza into tiny pieces so he could eat while holding Q. Of course Q woke up right as I was finishing and we had ordered dessert.

We fought him off as long as possible but when we finally left, he screamed the whole way home until I could feed him and knock him out for a good nap.
Morale of the story? Baby Quintin is too big and nosy to go on date night with mom and dad.

All in all, one of those nights we knew for sure that we wouldn't have handled the experience well if we hadn't been married.

Here's a picture from the restaurant. Faces describe everything haha.

Note: It's not that I won't leave Quintin with a babysitter...it's that I can't. He 'forgot' how to drink out of a bottle when we got back from Christmas break. I don't feel comfortable leaving him with someone when I know he'll just scream a good majority of the time. So, we're looking forward to having a good schedule with cereal and then eventually baby food so we can leave him. Until then, it's grandma and grandpa or loud date nights!

3 comments:

Pierson family said...

I'm pretty sure I owe you a ton of babysitting... I don't mind the screaming. If you ever want to trade weekend nights just let me know. I know I have 2 kids and you only have 1 so you guys get more time.

Shari Romney Family!! said...

Oh the fun moments of being a parent. Steven looks so happy in that picture. It makes it so hard when they refuse the bottle. The only bottles that I have found to work for my full time nursing baby is the playtex nursers with the latex nipples.

Briana Jensen said...

Emily "forgot" how to take a bottle too! The evenflow bottles work really good for us. And now Emily has conveniently 'forgot' how to nurse!!