October 19, 2011

Dear Quintin, Happy Birthday!

Dear sweet baby Quintin,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
I can hardly believe it's been an entire year since I held you in my arms for the first time. I looked at you and understood "love at first sight". You were perfect. Every little detail was perfect--little finger nails and ear lobes! I was exhausted, it took a lot of work to get you into this world. But all I could do was stare at you and silently pray to Heavenly Father thanking Him for such a wonderful blessing.
And now you are one year old. Some things have changed and others haven't! Now you are still perfect in every little detail. Even with that little scrape on the back of your arm, your tooth that is only half through the gums, and that horrible line in your hair from when I messed up cutting it last week. I look at you and see perfect.
Something that is changed is you can move!! Holy cow. Was I unprepared for a mover or what?! You've kindly shown me how un baby-proofed our house was over and over again. I feel like just yesterday I was snuggling you and doing my homework. I could leave you on the couch or the bed and you would stay right where you were!! Then slowly you started rolling, then rolling over and over, then scooting backwards, then army crawling, then crawling, then pulling up, then walking along furniture, and now so close to walking!
I am sad you've been sick the past few days but I'm not sad about all the extra snuggling we've had together. I think that's something not everyone can understand, not even daddy. I don't get tired of having you around, snuggled up in my arms. Sure you drive me crazy and we get tired of being cooped up at home. But then you give me one of your little smiles and everything is good again. No one else understands how I can be so fascinated by watching your little fingers pick up food and put in your mouth for hours on end. No one can understand the joy it brings to see you clap or shake your bum when music comes on. And NO ONE understands just how great it feels to hear you say ‘momma’ (Even if you do usually say daddy 1000 times to every 1 mommy).
So, here we are a year later. 100s of diapers, smiles, cries, late night feedings, messes, laughing fits later. And all I can think is how much I’ve learned and how much I love you. I thought I would be a pro at the mom thing. How hard could it be right? Oh how wrong I was!! Luckily, you are a good baby with a patient disposition. We’ve made it through a year of learning together. Thanks for letting me learn and thanks for teaching me so much this year.
I never thought I could love anything or anyone as much as I love you now. But then again one year ago, when you and I met for the first time, I never thought I could love you more than that minute. I am looking forward to an eternity of fun with you. I know soon enough it will not be cool to give kisses to your mom. And mom will not be nearly as funny as you think she is now. So in those more difficult times, I will have this sweet, perfect year to remember. Remember getting slobbery little kisses at just the right moment. Remember the look of surprise on your face when I cheered after you took your first steps. Remember the smiles, the tears, the giggles.
Thanks for choosing me to be your mom. Thanks for coming to our family. I knew we were missing something and that something was you! Quintin, you are my biggest blessing. I love you now and forever! Happy Birthday little man!
<3 Mommy

1 comment:

Bryan and Katie said...

i am teary! : (
Why do they have to grow??? Happy Birthday to your sweet baby : )
& congratulations to you and steve-o on being parents for a whole year!