June 9, 2011

Blockbuster

So I went to Blockbuster today. We got this thing in the mail that said if you rented one new release you could rent anything from the middle of the store for free until 4th of July. The store listed on the flier was the one that just closed but I figured the other one in town would still have the promotion. I read the fine print, made sure there was no bar code and put it on my list of stops while running errands.

Well after a long drawn out discussion on the phone with Steven while trying to juggle the baby, we had a selection and headed to the front. I tried explaining to him about the deal and he had no idea what I was talking about. It went downhill from there:

Blockbuster Employee: Do you have a blockbuster card?
Me: I have a phone number. Can you use that?
BE: How about a picture ID?
*I hand him my driver's license and he looks up my name*
BE: I don't see your account here. Would it be under a different first name?
Me: *Thinking, WTH?!* Um...it might be under a different last name, my maiden name.
BE: Ok what's that
Me: Ferrell
BE: Uh...
Me: F-E-R-R-E-L-L
BE: Nope not under that either.
-Pause-
BE: Do you know if you have an account here? Like, are you sure you have one?

Me: Yes. But my husband is the usually the one who carries the card and everything. Can you look up him?
BE: Sure. What's his name?
Me: Steven
BE: Oh ya I saw him in there.
Me: Ok good.
*awkward pause*
BE: Can you verify the address for me?
Me: *thinking: our current address? our last apartment? our townhouse? steven's parent's house?*
BE: The one in Arizona...
Me: *Gave him Steven's parent's address*
BE: *smiles* yep that's it.
Me: Can you add me to his account?
BE: Yes I can. And there's a $1.07 in late fees on his account.
Me: Awesome. Add that on too.
BE: Your total is $5...

Honestly I just felt like saying, "I'm normally not this stupid" or "I actually have a Master's Degree. Surprising huh?"

The RIDICULOUS part about this is that I OPENED THE ACCOUNT and STEVEN GOT ADDED TO IT LATER!! Honestly. The cards have my maiden name. I can even tell you which store I was at when I opened it (Ogden, UT and I had to have an account to check out all these movies for my 'writing about baseball' English 102 class). I have had them change my maiden name to my married name like 3 times and I'm willing to bet he didn't add me to the account tonight.

Why did they even send that advertisement to ME with my MARRIED NAME with the address for a store they just shut down and then not have my name in the system?

And...we didn't even watch the movie tonight.

No comments: