March 24, 2010

5 Things People Don't Tell You About Being Pregnant-First Trimester

So, I realize that I am fairly new at this pregnancy thing, but I have already learned a few things that I feel other people who are not pregnant yet may benefit from hearing. So here are five things no one told me about being pregnant-first trimester version.

1. Pregnancy actually consists of 40 weeks...which is more like 10 months. People just say 9 months because you may don't really get pregnant until 2 weeks have passed and after 38 weeks your baby is considered full term AND I think they say that so you can count in TRImesters...but still. You are counting down 40 weeks, not 36- just FYI. In some Asian countries, they consider the gestational age 10 months (Thank you Pregnancy for Dummies for clarifying that fact)

2. You will have gas and it will be embarrassing...even if it is just around your husband. Just ask Steven. I thought I had a few months for that part to happen, but it started right away...I can't wait to go to my in-laws in a few weeks.

3. Being sick when you are pregnant is 1000 times more miserable. I just found that one out yesterday. Your whole body aches and your head feels like it might explode but you are still craving pickles (or in my case, cheese).

4. At first, your baby bump just looks like you have eaten too many Oreos (which in my case might be true). Right now my bump is more like a chub...and it's inconveniently placed so my pants are starting to get uncomfortable. Bring on the bump- I want people to see it!

5. Your husband may or may not experience symptoms of pregnancy with you. Steven considers himself man pregnant. He has cravings and is still trying to out eat me at every meal. Maybe this is just a Steven thing, but I think it might be a husband thing. So ladies, give your husband some extra attention. Remind him you are eating for 2 and he doesn't need to out eat you. Seriously, Steven has gained more weight than me so far...and if he keeps going, he will have a bigger bump than me. *As I type this he is currently frosting cinnamon rolls, see my point?*

And- the one thing I knew before pregnancy but I'll share any way: Pregnancy is an excuse to be crazy. You can be hungry, thirsty, tired, irritated, all at the same time. All you have to say is "I'm Pregnant" and people instantly understand. Well it took Steven awhile to catch on, but he's got it now and things are going much smoother. He's starting to understand the importance of fulfilling cravings too. i.e. If you don't get me Oreos tonight on your way home, I may wake up at 2 am and want them and it will be harder for you to find them in the middle of the night.

We are excited and enjoying every minute.

9 comments:

Teresa said...

This is such an exciting time for you. Love ya

T and Jackie Isom said...

Yes, the first trimester is weird, confusing, and you feel more like a fatty versus a preggy. I think you're supposed to feel like crap the first trimester, so you can truly appreciate the second. At least for me, the second trimester was the best! I got all my energy back, I no longer had anymore weird food aversions (except for the heightened sense of smell)and I had a noticably obvious baby bump.

Beckums said...

:D HAHA! you forgot the all the hair that pops up on your belly....eww weird!

Shari Romney Family!! said...

Yes! Dont you hate that they say its only 9 months?! I hate that! Its for sure 10 months! And the horrible gas! I dont remember with my other two pregnancies having as much as I do this time around. But its weird waking up in the morning and having it when I hadnt even eaten anything yet.And when I was pregnant with Kennedy my husband gained the same amount of weight for a while as me. He stopped at gaining the weight when we hit the 25 pound mark, I didnt I continued on to gain additional 15 pounds on top of that. I think its because they do see us with cravings and eating more often that they feel the need to eat too!Who knows?! But I liked that he gained with me, in a way it made me feel so much better, just so I knew I wouldnt weigh more then him at the end of my pregnancy. At the end of my pregnancy we weighed about the same give or take a few pounds. Daniel needed to gain the extra weight though he was under weight for his height and had lost a lot of weight do to stress. He never lost the weight as I did he has kept it ever since. And he looks so much better. Dont worry your icky sickness feeling will soon fade and you will be love being pregnant!

Anna and Dusty said...

Haha, you're right, no one told me those things either. And I completely agree with your last comment. You can do ANYthing when you're pregnant, just ask Dusty, I did some really wacky horrible things and the hormones just keep getting worse.

Pierson family said...

Ha ha I love this! Its all very true. One time while Dallin was being man pregnant he was craving Mint cookies and MADE ME GO AND GET THEM!!!

One more little thing people don't tell you while your pregnant... Once you hit like 30 weeks you will want to file for divorce every day! But don't cause your husband (and by husband I mean you) then becomes normal again about 6 weeks after you have the baby lol.

Heather said...

David had sympathy everything! Cravings, mood swings, a little weight gain and random stomach pains, which we called his own Braxton hicks contractions!

Moses Family said...

I feel for ya girl!

Bryan and Katie said...

good luck-I'm still waiting for my bump to show up and I'm almost 6 months!! Blast I hate that 40 week thing too...i just try to ignore that with the rest of the world